Thursday, May 24, 2012

Is it bad luck to sing in a graveyard?

Apparently the people at Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta this weekend were not concerned about singing or dancing among the burial plots...Cistern and I included.

The cemetery is an amazingly beautiful place. Established in 1850, it has plenty of shade and loads of character. This was the second year that they have had this music festival, but my first time ever even going to the cemetery. There are many beautiful memorials and statues, some notable residents--including Margaret Mitchell, and many Confederate soldiers buried there.

This is the most photographed memorial at the cemetery...built by a husband and father for his wife and daughter.


They used that image and added a fiddle and a guitar for the flyer.


We went to see Rebecca Loebe (one of my favorites) who is from Atlanta but I didn't "find" her until she was on Season One of "The Voice." If you watched the show, Adam and Christina both turned around for her, and she chose Team Adam. She was rudely eliminated during the battle Rounds, but I have been stalking to see her several times since, and I think she is awesome. She mentioned her TV time on Saturday, and was super kind in giving me a shout out from the stage, "...the most important judge who turned around was Margaret. She's been at every show in Atlanta since, and I need that a lot more than I need Christina Aguilera." Why, yes, I was beaming like crazy. She is sweet, has a wonderful voice full of power, range, and control, and writes some amazing lyrics. Go see her if you ever get the chance...and tell her I ordered suggested that you go. If you hate her, I'll give you your money back. For real...I have a job now.


The vendor selection was not as wide as I would have liked, but the guys from Pallookaville had a great sense of humor.


Their boiled peanuts lived up to the hype.


And the condiment selection included grape jelly and Hershey's chocolate sauce among many more traditional hot sauces. I'm boring when it comes to my corn dogs, and chose "Perfect--Gulden's mustard," and "Wrong--ketchup." the others were "Delicious--yellow mustard" and "Zesty--pickle relish."


My only complaint was that my shoes (with whom I had established a relationship) chose to give me three blisters--one between the toes. If you had any idea how often I wear flip flop style shoes, you would recognize this as the tragedy potential inconvenience this establishes for me. We did see an accident involving the leg one of the vendors getting caught between a golf cart and the vendor's cart. Cistern completed her obligations as she saw fit: 1. Pointing to me and saying "NURSE!" 2. Not puking. I need to send an email to check on her. She tried to tough it our, but did eventually go to the ER. I'm not sure it was broken, but I absolutely would not have sworn it was NOT broken. I guess that makes my blisters seem not even worth mentioning.

So, when was the last time you saw live music? Where is the most interesting place you have seen music? If you don't like live music, can you explain to me why? (I really do mean that last question...not being snarky, I just don't get it.)

1 comment:

  1. I think cemetaries and funerals have to be about the living. I'm not saying that we shouldn't treat them with respect, but honestly, the dead are dead.

    Last time I saw live music, my basement on May 12th with HOTCHA! Next time I'll see live music, going to another house concert June 3rd, Matthew de Zoete. There are a few things tempting me into Toronto between now and then but I don't think we'll make it.

    I think a lot of people get annoyed with live music because of the types of venues they associate with it. I'm tired of anything at really big venues or where I have to stand for 4 hours at a time. I'm not saying I won't do it, but the pot smoke drives me away from a lot of larger venues where they turn a blind eye. Oh and the ticket prices for good entertainers who have lots of pyro-dance stuff going on and don't actually sing half of the show. I get that the $80-$100 is needed to cover that much staff etc, but I'm happier spending $20 to see someone who can really honestly sing and captivate me without the additional distractions.

    ReplyDelete