Sunday, June 3, 2012

The best way to appreciate your job is to imagine yourself without one. Oscar Wilde

Management is nothing more than motivating other people.
Lee Iacocca

Work is a necessary evil to be avoided.
Mark Twain

Work isn't to make money; you work to justify life.
Marc Chagall

By working faithfully eight hours a day you may eventually get to be boss and work twelve hours a day.
Robert Frost

Without work, all life goes rotten. But when work is soulless, life stifles and dies.
Albert Camus

So, tomorrow is the day. Four months of unemployment ends at 7:30 tomorrow morning. I am returning to the hospital where "I grew up." I worked in medical records while I was in high school...as a nursing student I worked to get experience with patients (I was severely underpaid at this particular endeavor). I worked there when I was 22 years old and had no idea what insanity I would encounter over my 25 years as a nurse. They laid me off last June, and tomorrow I return...within a week to the day. I will be working under the same supervisor who was my boss when I was young, terrified, and skinny. This go around I am older, less terrified, and less skinny.

I will be supervising more people than I ever have before. I know I am good with people. I learned from one of the best managers ever. If I can be as fair, honest and deal with problems in as straightforward a manner as he does, it will all be just fine.

See also: Oakley is not going to be happy about this "Margaret leaves the house every day for hours" situation. As soon as the paychecks start arriving, I will be looking for a dog companion. Of course, she will just cower in the crate the first 37 times said dog companion arrives.

What are the things you liked the most about previous managers? how about the worst qualities?

2 comments:

  1. favorite qualities- ability to communicate well, the desire to know your staff on a deeper level, and the ability to do the job you ask your staff to do (not that you will, just that you are capable).
    least favorite- see above and do the opposite. my boss just got laid off and we all did a happy dance. not that i would wish that on anyone, but if you choose to not engage in your job and treat your staff like shit, well, karma is a bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay to employment!

    I'd say a good manager listens and has my back and my best interests in mind.

    Least favourite, I had a manager who didn't know what I did. When I quit, she didn't know what to put in the ad to find my replacement. You know have to know all the details of my job to manage me, but I don't know how she could even write my evaluations if she didn't know what skills my replacement would need.

    ReplyDelete